Saturday, February 14, 2009

First Post




Hi all,


I've decided to try out this version of blogging, rather than my customery travel blog. After all, we've been here for 9 months now - you can't call it travelling!!


And why do I call it "Living in the Halfwit Sundays"? Well, you all know the famous Whitsundays off the northern coast of Queensland. Famous for their beauty, aren't they? The mainlanders here call the Southern Moreton Bay Islands the Halfwit Sundays in mockery. Back in the 70s, the islands apparently were full of hippies with dreadlocks and tatts, growing dope and living the alternative life style.


Things have changed here but the name sticks ... and I kinda like it. I've never been exactly mainstream, as my friends know, so Living in the Halfwit Sundays appeals. (No, I don't have dreadlocks or a tattoo ... yet!!)


And what's so good about SMBI? The four islands, Russell, Macleay, Lamb and Karragarra, are home to about 7000 people from all walks of life. That's one of the things I love about it. There are teachers, architects, musicians, artists (a lot of artists!), anthropologists, gardeners, sailors, fishermen ....


Funnily, enough, we're not so halfwit, either!! The property values of the SMBI (Southern Moreton Bay Islands) are low... waterfront properties from A$500,000 compared with double or treble that price on the mainland. Yet here we are, 40 km from Brisbane and an international airport. We have a school, police station, medical facilities, supermarkets, a golf club, bowls club, boat club ... we even have a pub, Pub Paradise ... and we are only 15 mins offshore. There is a regular water taxi service and a regular barge service for vehicles.
Welcome to my first post. I'll add items of interest and pix as they occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment